pinwheelcoinpouchvidI have been dabbling with leather work for about a year now since I first made a leather sheath for a knife I made. I enjoyed that process so much I wanted to try and make other leather products and one project I wanted to try was making a leather pinwheel coin pouch. A friend had one of these and I always thought it was a neat little object and wanted to try making one myself. Making a pinwheel coin purse is a pretty simple process, if you have a good template or pattern to go by. When I first tried to find a pattern I had very little luck finding one, at least not one that wasn’t for sale for $20US or more!

After searching for a while I eventually found a free one but it wasn’t very well drawn or explained. I figured I should come up with my own pattern and make it available to anyone looking to make one of these coin purses! I also thought I should make a little video showing how easy it was to make.

So here are the patterns, I have a PDF with some simple instructions as well as a .dwg file so you can scale this up or down to fit your needs exactly.

greenspreepinwheelcoinpuch – PDF of the template

.dwg file of the template

And finally here is the video showing how the pinwheel pouch is made:

Pinwheel Coin Pouch Video and Free Plans!
Tagged on:

14 thoughts on “Pinwheel Coin Pouch Video and Free Plans!

• May 15, 2015 at 2:02 pm

Hello. I enjoyed your video on making pinwheel coin purses. I’ve never tried leather work before, but I’d like to give this a shot. Could you explain what kind of leather to purchase, and just a brief overview of how you stamp and finish the leather? I’m wondering if I could use leather that has already been dyed or if it has to be just vegetable tanned leather to fold.

• May 27, 2015 at 1:29 pm

If you go to Tandy Leather, use 2-3oz tooling leather, died leather should be fine I think but I have never tried it.

• March 26, 2016 at 12:25 pm

Tandy doesn’t sell small pieces of leather. I ended buying a side of 2-3 oz leather for $145.00. This is a good weight of leather for many different projects so I invested in it. Google 3 oz tooling leather and you will find various sources for about $17.00 for an approximate square foot. The templet is the bugger! You must have a perfect octogon! Why didn’t I pay more attention in Geometry?

• March 26, 2016 at 1:26 pm

I usually wait till there is a sale before buying a side. I got a utility side (about 20sf) this week at Tandy for $75.

• January 18, 2017 at 5:21 pm

you can find small stuff at the tandy outlets as well as remnant packs at various hobby and craft stores

• August 11, 2015 at 11:08 pm

Thank you for taking the time to make videos that instruct so we can build. I enjoyed the video and thank you for the PDF pattern. I am always receiving comments about my own pinwheel coin pouch and people asking where to obtain one. I am retired now and we will see if my current pinwheel will outlive me. Again, thank you.

• January 25, 2016 at 6:54 am

Great video and very clear to understand. I could not see, and would like to know, on which side you drew the relevant lines? Thanks.

• January 25, 2016 at 12:45 pm

Thanks! I draw them on the smooth side but very very lightly so they don’t mark the leather permanently.

Andy

• March 26, 2016 at 12:36 pm

I drew them lightly and lost them when I wet the leather for folding so be conscious of this, ESPECIALLY if you’re paying $17.00 for a piece of leather! They can be bought on Ebay from $5.00 to $20.00, but you can’t customize them or dye them the color you prefer,😎

• February 13, 2016 at 8:07 am

Andy,

So very true in your statement! Everyone wants to make money on a simple design from our elders who shared it with all. My mother was a child when her grandfather made her this very same design. She lost it or it was given away many, many years ago. When I started to do leather work, my mom said she wished she kept her grandfathers tools and patterns. Wow, I told her me too! She wanted me to make her one of those and asked if I knew how. I told her I would learn somehow or try to find it in my stuff. Well just as you found out no one was quick to give out any info, or they wanted money. I’ll be making my Mom one this weekend and my wife one as well! It’s good to know there are GREAT people still out there! I can’t thank you enough again Andy, your rock!

• November 5, 2016 at 8:43 pm

Your place is valueble for me. Thanks!…

• May 31, 2017 at 1:44 pm

what diameter do you start with? Thanks

• May 31, 2017 at 2:08 pm